Name: Minocycline Injection
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Signs of a pancreas problem (pancreatitis) like very bad stomach pain, very bad back pain, or very bad upset stomach or throwing up.
- Not able to pass urine or change in how much urine is passed.
- Fever or chills.
- Sore throat.
- Change in hearing.
- Joint pain or swelling.
- Muscle pain or weakness.
- Ringing in ears.
- Shortness of breath.
- Trouble swallowing.
- Blood in the urine.
- Chest pain.
- A heartbeat that does not feel normal.
- Change in color of nails, skin, eyes, scars, teeth, or gums to a darker color.
- Any unexplained bruising or bleeding.
- Feeling very tired or weak.
- Mouth irritation or mouth sores.
- Redness or white patches in mouth or throat.
- Rectal irritation.
- Genital irritation.
- Vaginal itching or discharge.
- It is common to have diarrhea when taking minocycline injection. Rarely, a very bad form of diarrhea called Clostridium difficile (C diff)–associated diarrhea (CDAD) may occur. Sometimes, this has led to a deadly bowel problem (colitis). CDAD may happen while you are taking this medicine or within a few months after you stop taking it. Call your doctor right away if you have stomach pain or cramps, very loose or watery stools, or bloody stools. Do not try to treat loose stools without first checking with your doctor.
- Raised pressure in the brain has happened with minocycline injection. Most of the time, this will go back to normal after this medicine is stopped. Sometimes, loss of eyesight may happen and may not go away even after minocycline injection is stopped. Call your doctor right away if you have a headache or eyesight problems like blurred eyesight, seeing double, or loss of eyesight.
How do I store and/or throw out Minocycline Injection?
- If you need to store this medicine at home, talk with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist about how to store it.