Name: Tessalon Perles
- Tessalon Perles effects of tessalon perles
- Tessalon Perles side effects
- Tessalon Perles works by
- Tessalon Perles missed dose
- Tessalon Perles drug
Side Effects of Tessalon Perles
Common side effects include the following:
- mental confusion
- visual effects
This is not a complete list of side effects. Ask your doctor or pharmacist for more information.
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Tessalon Perles Overdose
If you take too much benzonatate, call your healthcare provider or local Poison Control Center, or seek emergency medical attention right away.
What is Tessalon Perles (benzonatate)?
Benzonatate is a non-narcotic cough medicine. It works by numbing the throat and lungs, making the cough reflex less active.
Benzonatate is used to relieve coughing.
Benzonatate may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
What happens if I miss a dose?
Take the missed dose as soon as you remember. Skip the missed dose if it is almost time for your next scheduled dose. Do not take extra medicine to make up the missed dose.
What happens if I overdose?
Seek emergency medical attention or call the Poison Help line at 1-800-222-1222. An overdose of benzonatate can be fatal, especially to a child. Accidental death has occurred in children under 2 years old who took only 1 or 2 capsules.
Overdose symptoms may include numbness in the mouth or throat, feeling restless or very sleepy, tremors or shaking, seizure (convulsions), slow heart rate, weak pulse, fainting, and slow breathing (breathing may stop).
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Change in the way you act.
- Feeling confused.
- Hallucinations (seeing or hearing things that are not there).
- Numbness and tingling of the mouth, tongue, throat, and face have happened when this medicine was broken, crushed, chewed, melted, or sucked before taking. Choking and very bad allergic reactions have also happened. If numbness or tingling happens, do not eat or drink until it goes away. If you have an allergic reaction or if numbness or tingling lasts or gets worse, call your doctor right away.
What are some other side effects of Tessalon Perles?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Hard stools (constipation).
- Feeling sleepy.
- Stuffy nose.
- Upset stomach.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
How do I store and/or throw out Tessalon Perles?
- Store at room temperature.
- Protect from light.
- Store in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to throw out unused drugs.