Tiotropium (Inhalation Route)
Name: Tiotropium (Inhalation Route)
- Tiotropium Inhalation Route brand name
- Tiotropium Inhalation Route dosage
- Tiotropium Inhalation Route dosage forms
- Tiotropium Inhalation Route used to treat
- Tiotropium Inhalation Route is used to treat
- Tiotropium Inhalation Route missed dose
US Brand Name
- Spiriva Respimat
Tiotropium is used to treat chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD). COPD is a lung disease that also includes chronic bronchitis (swelling of the tubes leading to the lungs) and emphysema (damage to the air sacs in the lungs). It is also used as maintenance treatment for asthma in adults and children 12 years of age and older.
Tiotropium belongs to the family of medicines known as bronchodilators. Bronchodilators are breathed in through the mouth to help open up the bronchial tubes (air passages) in the lungs. It is taken by inhalation (an inhaler) and will increase the flow of air to the lungs.
This medicine is available only with your doctor's prescription.
This product is available in the following dosage forms:
Appropriate studies performed to date have not demonstrated pediatric-specific problems that would limit the usefulness of inhaled tiotropium to treat asthma in children 12 years of age and older. However, safety and efficacy of inhaled tiotropium have not been established in children younger than 12 years of age.
Appropriate studies performed to date have not demonstrated geriatric-specific problems that would limit the usefulness of inhaled tiotropium in the elderly.
Other Medical Problems
The presence of other medical problems may affect the use of this medicine. Make sure you tell your doctor if you have any other medical problems, especially:
- Allergy to milk proteins or
- Difficult urination or
- Enlarged prostate or
- Glaucoma, narrow angle or
- Urinary bladder blockage—Use with caution. May make these conditions worse.
- Kidney disease, moderate to severe—Use with caution. The effects may be increased because of slower removal of the medicine from the body.
If you miss a dose of this medicine, take it as soon as possible. However, if it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not double doses.
Do not use this medicine more than once every 24 hours.